Introduction

Welcome to my blog about my mom, Loretta, and our journey through learning of her cancer and treatment.

Just a little background. Mom is 61 and hadn't been to a doctor in about 18 years until this past June 2011. The reason for this is due to the surmountable cost of insurance, even when your spouse has insurance it can be cost prohibitive.
So, Mom finally got approved by JPS in June and it was a good thing too, she had Basil cell carcinoma on the bridge of her nose. She underwent surgery to remove the tumor and plastic surgery reconstruction. She also has high blood pressure and Thyroid problems. We thought she was finally getting the attention she was missing and was going to be OK. Boy were we mistaken.
Mom started having some abdominal pain the first of January 2012. After talking with her and the pain getting worse, she finally agreed that she needed to go to the clinic or ER.
The following blog posts chronicle the events since then. Future posts will continue to explain treatment, issues concerning her condition and general comments.
I appreciate you taking the time to learn about what it means to be diagnosed and this type of cancer. Mom has been a trooper so far, she says "I'll beat this".

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

New Pains and Fever

2/17 & 2/18/12 - Sat & Sunday 
Mom reports that she is experiencing a new pain & she's got an off and on fever. I told her to keep tabs on her fever and if her pain is above an 8 she needs to go to the ER. Now anyone that knows my Mom will know that she will have some rational explanation for not wanting to go to the ER, especially on a weekend.
Also, I checeked my email and saw that CTCA had sent me an email concerning my post on their FB wall. Here is what they said:
I apologize for the earlier exchange you had with one our representatives.  I completely understand your frustration and appreciate you taking the time to bring it to our attention via Facebook.  At Cancer Treatment Centers of America it is our goal to help everyone who calls and we failed to help you.  Help comes in many forms: treatment, physician referrals, or even service referrals.  However, in your case we didn’t learn enough about your mother’s condition or situation to determine how we are best able to help you.  If you are interested, I would like to continue the conversation you started with CTCA to learn more about your mother and determine the best way we can help.
 In response to their email, I sent them a nice reply and a link for them to download Mom's medical records. We will see what come's of it, if anything. Believe me when I say I'm not going to hold my breath....

No comments:

Post a Comment