Introduction

Welcome to my blog about my mom, Loretta, and our journey through learning of her cancer and treatment.

Just a little background. Mom is 61 and hadn't been to a doctor in about 18 years until this past June 2011. The reason for this is due to the surmountable cost of insurance, even when your spouse has insurance it can be cost prohibitive.
So, Mom finally got approved by JPS in June and it was a good thing too, she had Basil cell carcinoma on the bridge of her nose. She underwent surgery to remove the tumor and plastic surgery reconstruction. She also has high blood pressure and Thyroid problems. We thought she was finally getting the attention she was missing and was going to be OK. Boy were we mistaken.
Mom started having some abdominal pain the first of January 2012. After talking with her and the pain getting worse, she finally agreed that she needed to go to the clinic or ER.
The following blog posts chronicle the events since then. Future posts will continue to explain treatment, issues concerning her condition and general comments.
I appreciate you taking the time to learn about what it means to be diagnosed and this type of cancer. Mom has been a trooper so far, she says "I'll beat this".

Monday, May 21, 2012

Long.. Stressful week

5/15-5/20 Mon-Sat

Mom and I got the news from the oncologist on Monday that she can no longer have aggressive treatment. Her cancer has progressed and for her to have treatment would make her so sick she would die from it. Mom didn't take news very well, as I didn't either.
Monday started at 9am and I got home at 9pm. Long day and mom & I broke the news to Kent & Owen (her brother).
I spent too much time in the house with them smoking.
Tuesday morning came and mom was aggressively perusing calling hospice care. I told her that I would call and that I could answer all their questions.
She finally relented and I called them at 9:30am. We have an appt for 6pm Wednesday. Mom was actively telling Owen what to move from her room to make way for the hospital equipment
I awoke Tuesday morning coughing my lungs up. Didn't even make it all say at work I felt so bad.
Wednesday I went to the Dr and got all medicated up. I have an upper resp/sinus infection. Didn't go to work. I went and got my anti-biotics and headed to grans for lunch and a nap.
Gran was very happy to see me. Since mom was in the hospital I hadn't been over for lunch in awhile. We at and visited for a few and then I laid down for a nap. I no more got to sleep and hospice called wanting to change our 6pm appt to a 2pm appt. Boy, am I glad we did. Marla with Vitas Hospice was so nice. She got there at 2pm and left at 8pm. It's a long process to get everything signed, verified and checked in. Mom got really tired through the process.
Thursday mid day they delivered mom's medical equipment, including a nice bed with rails. Mom was finally starting to calm down. Although she had a panic attack at 2am Friday morning and called Hospice.
I was sick again Friday, felt like my lungs were being ripped from my chest. I rested until 2pm and then called mom to check on her again. She said she was feeling much better and needed to go to Walmart for some clothes that fit and some other items.
We decided on Thursday that she needed to have her baptism (she was baptized when she was 14, but wanted to do it again) on Sunday 5/21. I got it all arraigned with my pastor, Carol at Celebration. Mom & I went shopping and I was the one about to fall over by the time we got home. Mom got some new cotton pants that are more comfortable win some matching shirts.
Saturday came and mom had another good day.
Sunday was a blessed day for mom She was baptized and no a part of our church family at Celebration.
My brother and his family, 2 cousins, her brother & his daughter and many, many friends were there to share in moms big day. We all gathered at our house afterwards to visit and eat. Mom overextended her stay and got really tired. Owen and Brianna took her home and got her in bed. She slept all night.

1 comment:

  1. I decided to share this because i am so glad today and happy that i am alive to see another new day and not just that but also to share the goodnews of how i survived a deadly stage 4 cholangiocarsinoma (bile duct cancer). I was told by my oncologist that she had just 6 months left to live and i was so scared to lose my wife. I was lucky to contact Dr Mrs Aleta who i told all about it and she is the nicest person i have spoken to. She recommended a herbal medicine for her which she took that cured her in less than a month. Well for more info about the medicine and cancer treatment simply reach her on aletedwin@gmail.com she can help you too. Contact her for any form of cancer too.

    ReplyDelete